Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Product Review: Veronica's Snacks - Munchy Happiness In A Bag


I haven't done a product review in years on my blog, so it's about time I do one! The fine people over at Veronica's Snacks http://www.veronicassnacks.ie/ sent me an amazing goody bag of their new baked organic crisps, during Coeliac Awareness week back in May. Yes, that is how long it has been since I've had a chance to come here and blog! Sorry about that. I'm probably one of the laziest bloggers I know! Mostly because I am genuinely crazy busy in the 'real' world. I know, more excuses, but true!

So back to Veronica's Snacks. It is always a pleasure to receive gluten free goodies in the post and these crisps didn't disappoint.




I received two bags of Sour Cream Herb & Onion crisps and two bags of Barbeque crisps.

So starting with the packaging - the gluten free labelling is well labelled and very clear on the front and back of the bag. A clear message of no gluten here. Yay! I love that I don't have to check the ingredients list to make sure. They have the cross grain symbol labelled clearly as well.

Veronica Kenneally is from Cork - so all the better that this stems from a new Irish start-up. The recipes for the crisps are hers, but they are made in Slovakia, however everything else is run from Cork. She is upfront with this information in her promotional literature. It is a shame they aren't made in Ireland too, but I'm assuming cost & logistics are the reason for these being produced in Slovakia.

These crisps are promoted as an healthy alternative to the 'usual' crisps and they undoubtedly do have their benefits - they're baked for a start and they're listed as having no cholesterol, no trans fat, no GMO & no wheat. 

(On a personal note: The small problem I have with touting gluten free as healthy, is that it is not. The other points - yes, healthy - but the lack of gluten/wheat in any given product does not necessarily equal healthy. It simply means that there is no gluten or wheat in the product. That's it. The only health benefits are to those who cannot eat gluten/wheat due to having coeliac disease, gluten or wheat intolerance, therefore these products will not make them sick, but there is largely no other health benefit to something being gluten/wheat free.)

There is a good crunch to the crisps and definitely moreish. The barbeque and sour cream & herb flavours are great and you don't feel like they're scrimping on the seasoning. The only small downside is that after eating a few in a row, they tend to be quite dry, so you need to have a drink to moisten your mouth again. Apart from that - thumbs up! 

So altogether a great product. Tasty, moreish, convenient, gluten free - what more could you want from a crisp?

Veronica's Snacks can be found pretty much anywhere in Ireland and she has a new range of Veggie Crisps out now too. I haven't tried them yet, but if I am to go by what I've tasted already with her other crisps, then I'd say you're on to a winner! 

It is nice to be able to pick up a packet of decent tasting crisps in a shop and not have gluten and cross-contamination worries.

So go forth and get munching!



Image (c) Veronica's Snacks



2 comments:

  1. The look/sound really nice! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! Very nom. Considering they're not a traditional type of crisp, they really fill that void nicely.

      Delete