Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Still Here, Still Blogging, Still Trying To Finish My Beer Blog!

The world seems to be racing by me these days. I'm just about managing to grab a little time and write a blog. A couple of interesting things to note (and a small mention of my taking-forever-to-publish beer blog):

Domino's Pizza now have a gluten free pizza base available on their menu. I've given it a try and I've had no problems or side effects from eating their gluten free pizza and it's a pretty decent base for a large commercial franchise like Domino's. A step in the right direction, I think. Pizza Hut has released a gluten free pizza as well, but as far as I'm aware it's only in the UK. Has anyone tried/seen a gluten free Pizza Hut pizza here in Ireland yet? Would love to hear.

The Foods of Athenry http://www.foodsofathenry.ie/ have recently announced on their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/TheFoodsofAthenry that they are in the process of creating more gluten free treats from their bakery. How exciting? I love their gluten free range and it is brilliant to hear that they are expanding it.

It was announced that Heinz have decided to break into the gluten free market earlier this year. I haven't seen any signs of them appearing on the shelves here in Ireland (typically!), but at least their products are to be made available over the border. http://www.thegrocer.co.uk. Hopefully we will see them expand to the Irish market soon. I can't help but think this is yet another example of how we miss out on the variety and ease of access to gluten free foods, compared to our neighbours in the UK. http://www.heinz.com/glutenfree/products.html Perhaps you have seen them on our shelves here already and I am selling them short? Let me know, it would be great news if these products could be found here.

Great blog by Gluten Free[k] http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gluten-Freek pretty much sums up everything you need to avoid if you or know of someone who suffers from coeliac disease or gluten intolerance. What to avoid, how to replace gluten ingredients with gluten free ingredients, bookmark this blog! http://www.domesticsluttery.com/2013/03/a-guide-to-gluten-free.html

What's this about a beer blog? Yes, it is still in process. Yes, it really does exist and yes, I intend to get it finished up soon. It's a lot more time consuming than I would like it to be, simply because I need to get everyone involved in one spot over a couple of days so that people can properly taste, test and judge the beers fairly. The following gluten free beers that are available in Ireland that I am testing on my blog are:

Green's Brown Ale
Green's Premium Pils
Green's Refermented Dark Ale
Green's Refermented Blonde Ale
Green's Discovery
Green's Premium Gloden Ale
Daas Ambre
Daas Blonde
Crabbies Ginger Beer
Crabbies Spiced Orange Ginger Beer
Hollows & Fentiman's Ginger Beer
Estrella Damm Daura
Mongozo Premium Pilsner
Against The Grain
GFA
GFL
Celia Lager (not yet available in Ireland, but hopefully soon.) 

If you know of any beers that are missing on this list let me know. 

Also, I'm on the lookout for any new/existing gluten free and coeliac blogs out there. I want to continue to add to my Gluten Free Blog Love page http://glutenfreephotos.blogspot.ie/p/gluten-free-blogs.html So if you know of a great gluten free blog that should be listed here let me know! All suggestions welcome.

So there you have it. A little update. I'm still here! I have been up to my eyes with my freelance photography work lately (a very happy complaint!), that's why my blog has been so quiet for awhile, but I am definitely still trying to keep a presence here. I tend to keep both my facebook and twitter current with news from the gluten free world, so feel free to follow me there too, for more regular updates.


A small sample of some of the beers being tested for the beer blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.